Friday, December 24, 2010

5 Years Ago Today

It was 5 years ago tonight that I began thinking about adopting my first child. I was sitting in church watching the kids fidget in their seats and the parents trying to keep them quiet. I was quietly wishing that I had children and hoping that I would someday be a mother. Then that little voice in the back of my head started chanting adoption. One thing I have learned over the years is to never ignore that little voice.

I got home from church still thinking about adoption. I really wanted a baby or young child but believed the stereotype that the only child I could adopt as a single woman would be an older child from the US foster care system. Now, I'm not against adopting older kids or from foster care. Quite the opposite. I encourage anyone to consider these children if it is right for you but it wasn't my dream. My dream was my own young child.
I got home and sat down at the computer. I remembered looking at waiting foster children in the past but it had been a couple of years and I didn't remember where I had found them. I began a web search and immediately came across an adoption agency stating they accepted single women. What???? I was shocked and felt a surge of adrenaline. Maybe this really would be possible. Maybe I could be a mother.

I picked up my phone and immediately called a friend. I was expecting her to tell me I was crazy and that I was not ready to be a mom. After all, I was only 28 and still young. That's not what she said though. She said that she had secretly been thinking about the same thing but didn't know where to start or if it was possible.

The rest is history. We agreed to go to an orientation meeting a few weeks later. As is typical for me, I started researching agencies and programs on line and praying for guidance. In January, 2006, I started the process to bring an infant home from Ethiopia. In March, 2007, I finished that journey with a baby boy (17 months at home coming).

Five years ago today I listened to that little voice in the back of my head. I believe it was God calling me to my son. God works in mysterious ways. I urge everyone to be open to hearing His call. We sometimes lack faith and God has to keep nagging us but if you are willing to listen He will show you great things. He showed me my son.


3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Wow. The process was so much faster then. Now for a newborn, it would be possible 20 or so months.. plus three to five months to court and then one to two months to embassy.. and that is now...

I know I worried/fixated/hyperventilated the entire time worrying about the issue of singles adopting, and I was open to older. Most agencies will no longer accept them for Ethiopia.

Heather said...

Jacob was actually a waiting child due to a port wine stain. He was on the list for about 11 months before I found him. The wait was about 12-18 months at that time and travel was 2-3 months later.

Penelope said...

Glad that you listened!