Thursday, March 25, 2010

Part-time or Full-time?

I am trying to make a difficult decision. It is the middle of my school semester and I admit it has been difficult. The majority of my large assignments were due right before break. I have a large presentation due next week that I am still working on. At the same time, there have been several recent developments in M's case that have led to large amounts of paperwork. In short, I feel really overwhelmed, my grades have suffered (although sill passing) and I am not nearly as patient with my children as I was before this semester started.

I have been seriously considering only going to school part-time next year. There would be several advantages. I would have more time with my kids and less stress. I would have more patience for them and as a result be the mom I wish I was now (or at least closer to it). I am working on getting a temporary training social work certificate allowing me to practice social work for up to 2 years while I complete some foundation courses and my internship. I will be able to take the national exam this summer and get a regular social work certificate. I will be more likely to find a new job and it would be easier to start a new job if I am only going to school part-time.

There are also some negatives. It would take me an extra year to graduate. I would be 34 years old and definitely not a young employee when I start out. It may be harder to find a job without my master's degree so it may mean remaining in my current job for an extra year. I would also be attending school while Jacob is in kindergarten and could have to move when he starts first grade instead of kindergarten.

I just don't know what to do. I know the past few weeks have been a struggle but it will be getting easier in the next few weeks. The school wanted an answer at the beginning of this month but I just didn't know what to tell them. I still don't. It is just a difficult decision. I welcome any suggestions anyone has.

I want to be a good mom and I know part of that is changing jobs. I need to stop working three weekends a month so that I can watch Jacob play sports and get M involved in more activities as he gets older. I don't want to pay weekend babysitters any longer than necessary but I also don't want to always be stressed out and not have time for my kids when I do have off work.

I will have to give this some more thought. I hope to make a final decision soon. I just hope I make the right one.

No comments: