Wednesday, February 9, 2011

A Lot Less Stress

Sometimes I am quiet because I am just so busy and overwhelmed that I really don't have time to write. It's not that I don't have a ton of things to say and nothing exciting to report. It's just that there isn't time.

That hasn't been the case over the past month. I really don't have anything to say (yes, I know those of you closer to me are amazed). I made a New Year's Resolution to slow down and work harder on reducing the amount of stress in my life. I found that most of the stress came from just being overwhelmed by trying to do too much and not actually in individual task. So I'm not pushing myself as hard to get everything done right away or to do as much. Mostly, I am just making sure I have more time to relax and allow our lives to have more of a routine feel.

About 4 weeks ago, I received the phone call I have been working towards for about five years for. I have heard that changing jobs and careers is a major event that many people find very stressful. I also know that worrying about it and stressing about it doesn't change anything and is actually counterproductive for me. It makes me cranky. So I decided not to worry about what bad things might happen and just allow myself to concentrate on the good changes I know will be coming.

The first thing I did after receiving the tentative job offer was to fill out time off request slips for my current job. I know that I will be able to transfer my vacation time but I also know that I won't want to take vacation for the first several months and I have to be there at least 3 days a week or it will extend my probationary period. So I requested all weekends except this coming Saturday off work. It's amazing how having weekends off has reduced my stress level. Two days a week with no day care, school or work. I have time to work on laundry, do fun things with the kids and just spend time relaxing.

The job offer itself has been a source of major stress reduction. To have a job offer, a starting date and know that at least this goal has materialized has been great. I am no longer going to work wondering how much longer I will work there or if I will ever get a job offer. I have one. Now I can work on getting my new outfits ready for a job that doesn't require a uniform.

Less stress is making me a better mom too. I have noticed that I am much less tolerant or patient with the kids when I am feeling overwhelmed. Having less stress means I am able to be more patient with them and we all have noticed the difference. M reacted by acting out slightly at the changes in our schedules and just general life. Jacob doesn't really show it much except that he keeps telling his teachers about mommy's new job so I know he is aware of the changes as well.

I am just happy to finally have a job that will have a better schedule for my family. Limited evening hours, no weekends and no holidays. And I was really surprised to learn no pay cut. I was expecting to lose about 25 percent of my pay but found out that under the social workers contract I can transfer over at my current pay level. Another huge burden gone.

Life is good. We are blessed. We are happy.

No comments: