Sunday, June 15, 2008

Father's Day 2008


Jacob and I had a very nice Father's Day. I believe Jacob was the only child at his father's day party that did not have a dad there. It didn't seem to phase him though. He had a blast singing with his friends, eating ice cream and playing games. I know of several other single mothers in his school but none of them came to the party. I understand that it does feel ackward to be a mother there alone but it is a feeling I need to deal with myself. Jacob wants to be part of the fun and doesn't want to miss the party. I don't want him to miss the party so I decided to attend and just enjoy the time with him.

Jacob's grandma and papi were able to attend the show. The originally did not believe they would be able to make it but were able to adjust their plans to attend. Jacob had made two special projects. One said "Daddy's stuff" and the other said "Papi's stuff." Jacob's teacher warned me ahead of time that Jacob had made the daddy one before she realized he had the wrong project. She asked if I still wanted it. Jacob had very excitedly told me he had made me a special project so I knew what his intent had been when he grabbed it. I told him and his teacher that I would be very happy to have the daddy project.

At the party Jacob gave Papi his present. Papi unwrapped it and Jacob immediately became upset. He stated that the present in it (the one reading "Papi's stuff") was for Mommy and that the one I had ("Daddy's stuff") was for Papi. The painting and artwork on the two projects were very different and both done with care. Papi and I agreed to switch projects. I am now proudly displaying my "Papi's stuff" basket and Papi is proud of his "Daddy's stuff" project. Maybe next year I will ask Jacob's teacher if he can choose to make two projects so that he can give one to me and one to Papi.

Today we celebrated Father's Day by giving Papi a new phone for his kitchen. His old phone broke last week so I quietly told my mom to make sure they did not buy a new one before today. We also had dinner together and then played at Papi's house. It was a nice evening where we got to enjoy each other. Time together is the best gift we have and something we never seem to get enough of.

1 comment:

Angela :-) said...

Tell your dad Happy Father's Day from us!

Angela :-)