Saturday, June 21, 2008

News

I found out yesterday that they found a relative for A. I asked if that meant that they would open my home back up to another placement. The answer I received was that they don't know yet. I guess the dilemma is that there is still a very small chance that the judge could order A into foster care despite this relative coming forward.

It is very frustrating being told for the past 6 weeks that I need to just wait and see for a child who may or may not be coming. I really do trust that the social workers are doing what they think is best. I just wish that there were more concrete answers. Welcome to foster care and to a certain extent the roller coaster of adoption.

Since A is probably not coming next week, we are going to Minnesota. We are going to a very large picnic for families affected by Ethiopian adoption. They expect to have over 1000 people attend. I made reservations for a foster child as well as the teenagers I mentor, Jacob and me. It will be nice to have just the teens, Jacob and me. It will be a little more relaxed than having a new young toddler with us. I would still prefer to have a foster child but that does appear to be out of my hands at the moment.

I have been spending some time this week working on getting water out of my basement. Like most other people in the area, I did get a small amount of flooding. It could have been much worse. Some people are looking at thousands of dollars and I am only looking at a few hundred at the most. I know that all of us that still have homes we can live in are very lucky. It is only a few miles from here that many people have lost their homes, businesses and at least temporarily their entire town. I spoke to a friend last night who stated the water level on the lakes is beginning to go down. We still don't need any more rain but at least things are improving. I am very grateful for that and that the flooding damage wasn't any worse.

Jacob has been bitten three times in 2 weeks at school. The first one was completely unprovoked. He was laying in a chair when the little boy came over and just bit him without warning. Later that day, Jacob tried to take a toy from the boy who then bit his finger. Two days ago, the little boy was being mean and not playing nicely. He came over to Jacob. Jacob told him he didn't want to play and to leave. The little boy refused. They argued and Jacob was bitten on the arm. Now I realize that the little boy is not quite 3 years old (he turns 3 in about 2 weeks) but enough is enough! I am not sure what to do as a parent. I don't want Jacob to be bullied by this little boy and I do want him to use his words and stand up for himself (like he did last week) but I also don't want him being bitten all the time. The bites are hard enough to break skin and leave very large bruises that last for well over a week.

No comments: