Monday, November 23, 2009

What I Am Thankful For

I cannot believe it is Thanksgiving already. It seems like I was just outside taking the kids for long walks and swimming. Now it is colder and winter is only moments away (some say snow later this week). I wish the world would slow down and that time was going so quickly. Yet, I have a lot to be thankful for. Here are a few things I am thankful for.

1) My boys. Both of them. I love being their mom and spending time with them. Even on bad days.

2)That my sons no longer have to worry about getting enough food. We haven't had any gorging or other food related issues in over a year.

3) My loving and supportive family. I could never succeed at graduate school without their help.

4) Graduate school. I am very thankful that I was admitted and am succeeding. It is a ticket to a better life for all of us.

5) My internship. I love it. What more can I say.

6) Adoption. It gave me one son and someday might give me another one.

7) Foster parents. The good ones who truly love the kids and help them heal from their past traumas.

8) My children's teachers. They work hard each day to teach my kids and help them. I can see the results in the pride and joy my children have when they show me their latest art project or share their new knowledge.

9)My job. It's no secret that I am preparing to change careers in a couple years (or sooner) but I am still grateful for it. Good and bad days it pays the bills.

10) Food. We live in a country with an abundance of it. I have been in countries where it is scarce and will never be able to take it for granted again.

11) Clean water. It kind of goes with 10. When you have seen people struggling without clean drinking water it makes you realize how good you have it. And chuckle when inmates complain they want soft water and not hard water.

12) For all of those people who are positive role models for me and my kids. Most of you know who you are. We may not say thanks enough but we are always grateful.

There are so many other things I am thankful for. These are just a few. Please take a moment and think about your blessings. I recently saw a sign on a church in Rosendale, WI instructing people to "Count your blessings. Not your problems." Life really does look differently when we stop to realize how blessed we are no matter what challenges we may be facing. Watching my children smile and hearing them laugh are everyday reminders that what is truly important are the people around you not how many possessions you have, what kind of car you drive or how much money is in your wallet.

No comments: