Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Sharing!

A note to all parents out there. Let's discuss sharing for a moment. Sharing is not each child stakes out toys for themselves and does not allow any other child near them. Sharing is taking turns or playing with the same toy together. I say this after a frustrating morning at an area store yesterday.

There were several children there who all wanted to play with the toy trains. I have taught (and his teachers have taught) Jacob to share toys by playing with other children. This includes taking turns with the favorite toys. There were other parents there who felt their child should be able to hoard 3+ trains and go wherever they wanted just by saying "excuse me." Pushing younger children away from the table and saying "excuse me" is NOT sharing.

Jacob was insistent though. He continued to offer to let other children use his trains and did not let the older children bully him. I just wish I could say the same for the other kids.

No comments: