Saturday, November 10, 2007

It's been 8 months!


Wow! Time does fly when you are a mother of a young child. I met Jacob 8 months ago today. I still remember the butterflies in my stomach as I searched the toddlers trying to figure out which child was mine. It is amazing to realize that you are about to meet a child who has been yours legally for over a month but you have never met and do not even recognize.
One of the nannies was holding Jacob because he wouldn't sit still for sun bathing. It is amazing they are able to get most of the children sitting quietly taking in the sun. I do not know how they manage to do it. The nanny put Jacob in his chair and I was told to pick him up. I was told he is shy at first and afraid of new people. I was sure he would cry as soon as this strange looking woman picked him up.
The nanny told Jacob I was his "mommy" and the rest is history. He didn't scream and didn't want me to leave. Within 2 visits, Jacob would cry every time I returned him to his room in the orphanage. He was a sweet child who decided immediately I was his mommy.
Not all children attach that quickly. It is wonderful when it happens but it is not always the case. I know my next child may very well have more difficulty learning to accept me as a mother figure in his/her life. For today though, I will just be grateful for the sweet little boy who attached quickly and with little effort.

No comments: