I cannot believe it has been six months already! At the same time, I cannot believe it was only 6 months ago that I was single with no kids. How quickly things can change.
As you have probably guessed, it was 6 months ago today that I met my son. I have to say that it was one of the best days of my life. A lot has changed but I would never want to chage a thing.
Here are some of the biggest changes in my life since I met my son.
Six months ago today, I met a little boy who wanted a mommy. He had been at the orphanage 8 months longer than most children. He had seen countless children come into his room and leave with their new mommies. The nannies were always telling the children how loved they would be and how wonderful it would be when their new mommies came. Jacob was passed over week after week.
I walked up to Jacob who was described as being shy around strangers. The camera man told me to pick Jacob up. I was nervous. This child had no idea who I was or how much I already loved him. It quickly became apparent he was willing to take the risk. He did not want me to leave and kept one hand on me for the first two hours we were together. He didn't smile much but he only cried when that strange looking old man (now known as Grandpa) took his shoe.
Two days later I came back to the care center (orphanage) to visit with him again. He saw me walk up to the building and began screaming and laughing. He was so excited that I came back for him! I entered the building and began playing with the other toddlers in the room (after I greeted Jacob of course). A little boy gave me a hug. Jacob's reaction was swift and serious. He pushed the little boy out of the way and began blocking me from all of the other children. He was not going to be picked over again!
Jacob screamed the next two days when I returned him to the Care Center for the night. It broke my heart but we were doing things in the evenings that the children could not come to. It was such a relief to finally take custody of him on March 14. The rest is history.
Here are my favorite memories from the past 6 months.
1) The day I met my son for the first time.
2) The way he smiled the first morning after he spent the night with me. He sat up and smiled when he saw I was still there.
3) The first time he "petted nice" when he saw our dog.
4) The first time he kissed me without prompting.
5) The first time he told me "I wuv."
6) Watching my parents fall in love with him.
7) When he smiles and runs to me when I return home.
8) The look on his face when he learned Mama and Mommy are the same thing. (The nannies told him I was his mommy but I called myself Mama).
9) The day he learned his name was Jacob Mitiku and walked around pounding his chest while I said Jacob.
10) Every smile, I wuv, hug kiss and moment we are together.
Life has changed in 6 months for both of us. There have been challenges (tantrums, parasites, grieving) but there have been many more great moments. I cannot wait to see how he continues to grow and change. I love him and he loves me. We are a family.