Monday, August 2, 2010

Yes We Did Go

M, Jacob and I and two friends went to Circus World Museum and a nearby state park yesterday. I had the day off work so we loaded up the van for a full day of fun. We started at Circus World Museum. Unfortuntately, we were a little late getting up there and missed most of the shows the kids really like but we did see the big top show and had time to walk around and look at the train cars and general store.

The show was definitely better than last years and the kids really enjoyed every minute of it. M was a little concerned when the trapeze artist was on the rope. He was concerned that she wasn't being safe and stated, "She's going to fall!" He was also concerned that her mom was going to be angry. My favorite part of the show was when the baboon came out to perform. I can honestly say I have never seen a baboon perform before.

After we were finished at Circus World, we headed over to Devil's Lake State Park. The park was very full but we lucked out and found a parking place near the front of the lot. That was important since I was the person in charge of hauling our large cooler plus our swim stuff to the table. Devil's Lake is one of my favorite places to take the kids swimming. The water is clear and there is just enough sand to be fun but also plenty of grassy area for a picnic and to relax in. The kids had a great time swimming and playing in the sand. It was hard to leave but after a couple hours I was concerned about getting home in time to make dinner and get ready for today.

We stopped and took the Merrimac ferry home. The ferry is one that you can drive your car on and it takes you across the river. There is an ice cream stand near the ferry dock that I always enjoy stopping at if I have time. The kids think it is wonderful to be able to eat ice cream in the car. I don't have a lot of rules about eating in the car but rarely let them eat anything as messy as ice cream! Jacob started talking about the ice cream before we even left the parking lot at Devil's Lake.

After we got home, M asked me three times where we had gone. I kept telling him Circus World and Devil's Lake. He would repeat Circus World a few more times and then go off to play. This morning we made our usual mad dash to get ready to go and into the car. The day care is about 10 blocks from our house. M asked 2 more times the name of the place with the circus. I told him again and asked him if he was having trouble remembering. He stated he wasn't he just wanted to tell Ms. Callie and his friend Ruby all about it.

No comments: