Saturday, July 31, 2010

School Supplies

I have almost finished buying school supplies for the boys for the new school year. It really wasn't too bad although they are only in 3-year-old preschool and 4K. Jacob needed the most since he is in an actual school curriculum this year. There lists were reasonable and I didn't have anything to complain about.

That was until I got curious and picked up the school supply list for the kindergarten year at the nearby elementary school. I was curious to see what Jacob would need next year and thought it would give me a glimpse into what M would need as well. While the list is reasonable, I do have to question why I am being asked to by dry erase markers for the teacher.

I was considering this request (I see it as a request not a requirement. They have to educate my son whether he brings the teacher markers or not)when I began reading the newspaper about an hour later. There in the local section was an article about the materials fee that they are requiring for kindergartners next year. I am sure it will apply to 4K kids as well. The article quoted the school district as stating that the money goes to buy crayons and other supplies the children will use. The supplies they mentioned are the same ones on the school supply list and seems to cover the whole year. Or at least that is why I assume each child needs 30 glue sticks on the first day of school.

So my question is this. If I am buying the materials for my child to use plus buying the dry erase markers for the teacher to use, exactly what does the material fee go for? I think I'm confused.

No comments: