Tuesday, July 13, 2010

No Training Wheels!

Jacob asked me to take his training wheels off his bike. We rode it a few times tonight and he is starting to get the hang of it. He can ride about six feet before he loses his balance and falls off. I offered to put the training wheels back on for bike day at school tomorrow but he insisted that I leave them off. He wants to keep practicing at school. My only question is when did he get so big? It seems like just yesterday I was meeting him in Ethiopia and watching him enjoy "riding" a bike with no pedals. Now he is learning to ride without training wheels and just seems to be growing faster each day. I'm not ready for my baby to grow up but it appears he is ready to spread his wings a little farther. As any good mother does, I have to choke back a tear and watch him explore and grow. It is mainly a tear of pride at the young man I see him becoming and only a very small part missing the baby he once was. Today he loses his training wheels, in a few months he will begin to lose his baby teeth and in a year he is off to kindergarten. He is growing up and I couldn't be more proud of him. I miss the baby but I really love the boy he has become. I know I will love the man he will be way too soon for this mom's heart.

No comments: