Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Feeling Safe

How do I help my children feel safe and know that they are loved? How do you help a child who is not yours and who is being forced to move yet again? These are questions that I am facing as I try to parent my child and my foster child.

E spent the evening with us and is now sleeping. I would love to say peacefully but I am not sure that is true. It is difficult to think about how scared she must be. To be forced to move just because the adults in your life tell you to. How can I expect her to trust that I am a good person and won't give up on her when so many other people have failed her. These are questions that I am not sure I have the answers to.

Jacob is also struggling with the transition. He loves having a playmate and there were lots of giggles and screams of delight tonight. There were also extra requests for snuggles, difficulties going to sleep and jealousy. He did well and I know he will continue to adjust.

I allowed Jacob to stay up a few extra minutes while I comforted E in the other room. I then took some extra time to rock and snuggle with Jacob. It seemed to help. E stated she was scared (I can't blame her) and Jacob stated he was sad. Both kids need time and E needs to know she is safe and can heal. The next few weeks will be difficult for all of us but I know God will help us.

Please let me know if you have any advice on tranisitioning a 2 year old and 3 year old. I have assured Jacob he is mine forever and I love him dearly. I have told E that I will be here for her while the adults decide what is going to happen. I can't promise more than that at this time.

No comments: