Saturday, March 1, 2008

It's A Party!

I had no intention of having a large birthday party when Jacob turns 3. After all, he is still very little and wouldn't know the difference if we just had cake, presents and dinner with grandparents, uncle and us. That all changed last week though.

The YMCA by us was having a silent auction for their Strong Kids Campaign. The Strong Kids Campaign gives financial assistance to families so that more children can participate in activities at the Y. I love the program. I grew up spending a lot of time at the YMCA and now love all of the programing for preschoolers. I hope that we are able to continue to benefit from them for years to come and that other children also find it a safe place to spend time.

I thought the silent auction would be a good way to donate some money and have fun in the process. I was pleased (but not surprised since we bid an hour before closing) to win two baskets. The first basket was full of lotions and moisturizers for me. The second was a birthday party at the YMCA and pizza gift certificates. So now, Jacob will be having a birthday party at the YMCA. Of course, all children under age 7 will need to have a parent with them. Jacob won't turn 3 until next fall but it should be fun.

I have seen a lot of research that programs like the YMCA have are great at preventing children from making poor choices as they grow up. It gives the children a safe place to play after school and provides positive role models. All of these are very important to children especially those whose only other option is hanging out on the streets.

I am a very strong advocate for prevention programs. I am very pleased to be able to help these programs whenever I can.

No comments: