Tuesday, July 15, 2008

From Terrified To A Fish In One Year

I received a social report on Jacob the night before I met him for the first time. It stated that he is fearful of water and cries during baths. That turned out to be a huge understatement. He wasn't just fearful, he was terrified. I have never bathed a child so fast in my life. He would shake with fear and just scream. It took about 3 baths before he stopped screaming and several baths before he realized he was safe.

I signed Jacob up for swimming lessons in April last year. He cried and clung to me during the first two lessons. On the third lesson, my dad took him and Jacob did just fine. He continued to learn to trust me and the water after that. I still didn't believe he would ever love water like I do.

Just 15 months later, you would never believe Jacob is the same child. Numerous parents as well as life guards comment about how good he is in the water. He has not been in lessons except that one session just over a year ago. He can now float on his stomach for several seconds, glide about 3 feet on his stomach, float on his back for about 2 seconds and hold his breath for about 45 seconds. He quickly learned how to doggy paddle with a life jacket on today. He loved being able to swim by himself and was able to move fairly quickly through the water.

In order to take actual lessons, Jacob needs to be 3 years old and potty trained. They have lessons for infants but it focused on helping the children become comfortable in the water and doesn't teach them any actual swimming skills. Jacob is definitelly past that level now and would not get much out of it. You can believe that he will be in lessons as soon as the next session starts after his 3rd birthday. That is only in 2 months. Until then, he will just have to continue to amaze the other parents and lifeguards. And I will continue to be amazed that my terrified child is now one of the best swimming 2 year olds in the pool!

No comments: