Wednesday, July 9, 2008

An Unexpected Mixed Blessing


I had a pleasant surprise for Jacob today. Jacob's daycare is in it's special Summer session right now. That means that they have almost weekly field trips and the older kids actually go on several outings a week. While Jacob enjoys the outings, his favorite part is all of the bus rides. Every week he asks me if I will go with him. I always tell him I have to work but someday I would love to go with him.
Today was that someday. I found out late last night that the overtime shift I had scheduled for today was cancelled. That meant that I was free to be a "parent" volunteer on his trip to a state park. It was a twenty minute bus ride their, 1 hour of playing on the playground, a short lunch and a twenty minute bus ride back to the school. Jacob loved having his mom there. I was very busy putting bug spray on 3 year olds, asking two and three year olds why they were crying, reminding them not to hit, kick, push, etc, making several runs to the drinking fountain and chasing Jacob around the playground. While Jacob was a little more clingy than usual, he did play with his friends and did a very nice job.
I really enjoyed being a parent volunteer and look forward to future outings with him and his classmates. I took a short nap afterwards and Jacob is still asleep now.
The mixed blessing comes from the money I won't make working today. It was worth it to spend a day with Jacob.

1 comment:

Sarah and Tim said...

Sounds like this was a really special day for you both. Thanks for all of your support on the Yahoo board!