Friday, July 18, 2008

A New Little Sister

Many of you know that I try to do volunteer work regularly. I love finding things that I can do with Jacob as a family. I have been involved with Big Brothers/Big Sisters for almost 8 years now. It seems like just yesterday that I met J, B and T for the first time. J was my official match but it wasn't long before B and T began coming with us too. Now it is very rare for me to have just J.

J is now 15, B is 13 and T is 16. I still love each of those kids and enjoy spending time with them. They are like family and act like eat. They come over, drink my soda, eat my food, use my computer and TV and just feel at home. That is how I want it and hope it will be for a long time. We have almost a family relationship with the teens being invited to our family gatherings, going to church with us and coming over pretty much anytime they want to.

I told my case worker that I definitelly want to continue my match with J but also was considering starting a new match with a younger child. I would love to have a younger match to take to the zoo, swimming and other area events. I want someone who is young enough to enjoy some of the same things Jacob enjoys.

Normally mentors are only allowed one match at a time. My case worker stated that since J and I have such a special relationship that has gone on for years, her supervisor has approved for me to have a second match. That will allow J, B and T to continue to do things with the agency and me but also allow Jacob and I to have a new relationship with a new child.

I should be starting the matching process soon. I am excited. It means that Jacob and I will spend about one evening a week with our new match. I am hoping to be matched soon. Through mentoring and other volunteer work, I hope Jacob will learn that giving to others is just part of life. It is a value I want him to have. Of course, he will probably be enrolled in the program as a little brother himself in about 3 years. At that time, we will have a unique situation of being a family match to a child and a little brother and parent of a little. I think I will enjoy seeing how the program works from all sides.

No comments: