Thursday, February 18, 2010

Thankful

I am sitting at home stalling on working on some assignments for school. We are doing distance learning tonight which I love. It means I can work from the comfort of my home and I don't have to pay for gas or childcare (which is about $50 per class). I also don't have to spend almost 4 hours in the car commuting which gets a little old.

The past few days have been full of reflection. Valentine's day marked the three year anniversary since I found out I was a mom. I still remember the odd feeling of knowing that I was the legal mother of a one-year-old boy on the other side of the world. A little boy I had never met but was anxiously waiting for. I also was given a travel date of March 8, 2007.

I got off the phone that day and immediately called my dad. We had previously discussed what each of us would do once the travel call came in. Dad began calling the travel agent and arranging airfare. I called work and told them I would be taking twelve weeks of sick leave beginning March 8. I called my mom to tell her the dates so she could tell her boss and then called a few friends. I was excited, anxious and scared out of my mind. It was absolutely wonderful and one of the best days of my life.

Fast forward three years and that one year old boy is now four and has a younger brother, M, who is 2 1/2. Jacob and I are extremely attached and bonded. He wants to be a police officer, fire fighter and doctor. Today he told me, "Mom, I will keep a close eye on everyone at school. I'll practice for when I'm a police officer."

I am also very thankful that God and human services brought me M. Talk about a miracle and joy. Yesterday I was sitting with M by the swimming pool waiting for Jacob to finish swimming. M looked up at me and said, "Mom, I'm forever." I asked him what he said and he stated, "I'm son forever." A couple minutes later I heard him say, "Mom, I love you too." Talk about a sweet and wonderful moment. That along with getting very close to no longer needing diapers and I am a very happy mommy.

No comments: