Saturday, January 1, 2011

Perfect Start to 2011

I will admit that I haven't written my New Year's Resolutions. I have started to think about them but haven't decided exactly what they will be. For example, I want to set some financial goals (ie: what debt to retire, how much to save, etc) but haven't figured out exactly what those goals will be. I also like to set more personal goals such as behavior changes and other personal improvements that are far too personal to post on a public website. I will write them out eventually and might even share some of the less personal ones here. I just haven't found the time to sit and think and write yet. Maybe later this week. My last post shared some of my hopes for the next year and some of those dreams will be included in my resolutions just in slightly different forms.

So today wasn't a day where I sat and reflected. Instead I used it as a day to start working on one of the resolutions that I am willing to share publicly. I want to spend more time in 2011 with my children just relaxing. No time lines or deadlines. Fewer activities rushed through so that we can check it off our to do list and move onto something else. Just time to spend enjoying eachother.

I started that resolution today. The boys and I layed around the house watching TV and lounging until about 9:30 this morning. We then got dressed and went to my parents' house. My mom and I took the boys to the mall where we spent about 2 hours just playing on the climbing equipment, playing with trains and reading books in the bookstore and eating lunch.

Around 1:30, we returned to my parents' house where the boys took a nap while I went to the grocery store. My dad fixed pork chops and mashed potatoes for dinner and we watched my beloved Badgers play a good game in the Rose Bowl (even if they did lose). We then watched an episode of Diego to reward M's very good behavior and patience during the football game.

It was 8:00 by the time we got home. I return to work tomorrow for 2 more days before my normal weekend. While I am never ready to leave my kids and go back to work, I am comforted returning after a relaxing and enjoyable day with the kids (and my parents).

Sure. We will still have days that are packed with activities. There will be activities that we have to squeeze in around other activities. But I also am pledging to myself and my children that I will try to have more days where we just relax, throw the schedules out the window, turn off the cell phone and computer and enjoy each other. I also pledge to continue to make spending one-on-one time with each of my children a priority this year. It's time that the kids really enjoy and I think is important for all of our relationships with eachother.

No comments: