Friday, April 11, 2008

Good News On Homestudy

I began researching home study agencies and prices. I believe I found the agency I will use. I want to talk to a friend who used them but am pretty sure I will use them. I have met people who used them and were very happy.

Now, if only I had the money. I need to raise at least $4000 to start the adoption process. I know I won't raise that at the garage sale next month but maybe by next winter. The garage sale can't hurt though.

I started asking people about how foster care would affect the home study. After receiving an answer I did not like (read not what I was hoping for), I finally just called the home study agency. The SW there stated I would need to sign a form promising not to have any foster children in my home when I travelled to bring my new child home. I could still do emergency care and respite but would have to promise not to have a long-term placement when I travel. Since that won't be for almost 1 1/2 years after I start the home study process, that won't be a problem. I was just hoping to be able to continue to improve my parenting skills and experience some different behavioral and special needs while I waited for a referral.

A referral is still a long way off. I am hoping to adopt from Ethiopia again. Every year there are rumors that Ethiopia will stop single parent adoptions. I know my agency fights it and that the post placement reports from single parents really help. I allowed the agency's Ethiopian director to videotape my son and me when he was here last year. I have done what I can to help keep the program open. If for some reason it closes to single parents before I adopt again, there are other countries I will consider. Either way, I do plan to adopt a child again in the next couple of years.

No comments: