Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Growing Pains

E moved in yesterday. So far I think I have said, "Take turns." " He/She had that first. " If you can't play nicely, go to your room and play." "You are not Jacob's mom. You cannot tell him what to do or discipline him." about a million times.

Things are already beginning to improve. I have begun to set some ground rules and each child has been disciplined at least once. I am continuing to ignore E's tantrums and she appears to be learning quickly that I will not react to them. Both children are pushing and hitting less as they are aware that it will only lead to more time outs. When E does not play nice and becomes bossy, Jacob and I play in another room. It doesn't take long before she decides she would rather play nicely than play alone.

I know that the next few weeks are going to be challenging. I also know that it already is easier on me emotionally than when Jacob came home. I am less hesitant to ask for help and more creative in finding ways to take breaks. I also know that things will continue to improve and that is all I can hope for right now.

No comments: