Sunday, April 20, 2008

Learning About Culture


Discovering traditional Hmong clothing

Enjoying some Ethiopian Food
Many adoptive families believe it is important to teach our children about their birth cultures. I believe this is important and spend a lot of time talking about Ethiopia, showing my son books and pictures from Ethiopia, playing music from Ethiopia and eating Ethiopian food whenever we go downtown. We have been busy this week learning some words in Amharic. Although I wish I could teach him more and incorporate more of the holidays and traditions into our lives, I do the best I can as an American mom who has only been to Ethiopia once for a very short visit.
I also believe that children should be taught about many different cultures and belief systems. Of course, Jacob knows our beliefs and is being raised as an American and Christian. He is also being raised to honor, respect and appreciate other cultures. My hope is that he will grow up to be a more tolerant and well rounded adult who enjoys learning about our differences and is accepting of them.
The children's museum has a special exhibit this month teaching children (and adults) about Hmong culture. We were able to wear traditional Hmong clothing, see their money, cook "meals" using the rations available in camps, see traditional Hmong story cloths and many other fun things. At 2 1/2 and 3 1/2, I'm not sure E or Jacob really learned much but it was a start. If nothing else, it was a fun afternoon and a good beginning.
We left the children's museum and headed down the street to eat some doro wat, chicken peanut stew and injera. All of these are common foods in Ethiopia and foods that I ate while there. Injera is a very unique tasting flat bread. It has a kind of vinegar taste to it and does take a few tries to get used to. I was amazed to find that E loved it. I tend to eat a little of Jacob's and then eat rice. That is the only "americanized" change I make. I am getting used to injera and enjoying it more than I did a year ago. Maybe someday I will be able to stop ordering the rice.

1 comment:

Angela :-) said...

I'm impressed that you keep trying injera. After trying it once before we traveled, I'm not sure I even tasted it in ET.

Angela :-)