Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Bedtime Routines

In the past 1 1/2 years, I have learned that bedtime routines are extremely important if I want to avoid tears. Bedtime struggles are not fun and whenever our routine gets off, I can expect tears, tantrums and a lot of stalling. M came to me without a bedtime routine that I could find. Jacob needed a new routine now that there is another young child in the house. Here is the routine I came up with. After a week, it seems to be working well.

-We begin with Jacob and M taking a bath. This usually involves a large amount of splashing, giggling and warnings that the bath will end if any water leaves the bathtub.

-After the bath, teeth are brushed and sippy cups are filled with water. It took a couple of days to get M used to having water instead of milk or juice at bedtime. Jacob was the same way his first few days home from Ethiopia. He was used to drinking milk at bedtime and had to learn to drink water instead. Water is so much better on their teeth that I insist on it.

-We move to the rocking chair where we all squeeze in for 2-3 stories.

-After stories, we spend 5-10 mintues just rocking and being quiet. Jacob now has a choice. He can either rock with M and me or he can play quietly out of M's sight.

-Once M is drowsy, I move him into his crib. Like many young children in a new situation, M needs me to sit with him for a few minutes and reassure him I am not leaving. This is M's quiet time with me and the only time that Jacob is not allowed to be with us. It normally only takes a few minutes before M begins to drift off to sleep.

-Now it is Jacob's time with Mommy. Tonight he helped me with laundry. Other nights, we play with toys or just rock. As 9:00 approaches, we move to the rocking chair and read 2-3 more books. This marks the end of Jacob's quiet Mommy time and he goes to bed with just a quick hug and kiss. I tuck him into bed, turn off the lights and have Mommy alone time.

As time goes on, I will shorten M's bedtime ritual. We will most likely spend less time rocking after stories. I will definitely slowly get rid of the time sitting in his room. For now though, this routine works well. Everyone is given some special time with me and goes to bed feeling secure.

1 comment:

Angela :-) said...

Sounds like a good plan.

Angela :-)