Sunday, August 3, 2008

Life Is Settling Down Again

Last week was a very busy week around our house. My softball team won the championship game for our division, the dog and cat went to the vet on Monday, Jacob had 2 doctor appointments for his eyes and my phone rang off the hook Wednesday with calls from Human Services. I am finally able to breathe again and begin to process the week's events.

Of course, the hardest thing to deal with is Jacob's probable glaucoma. Even though I knew he may someday develop it, it was still a huge blow. I was actually surprised to find myself having trouble dealing with it. There were moments when all I wanted to do was hold him or cry. Other times, I was perfectly fine and it seemed like it was no big deal. I think I have finally come to a place where I can accept the diagnosis and hope for the best. After all, Jacob is still a very healthy child with a bright future ahead of him. He doesn't have any of the scary symptoms associated with port wine stains like brain lesions, seizures, muscle weakness, behavioral problems or mental retardation. He is still at risk of learning disabilities but shows no sign of those either. He can sing most of the alphabet song, count to 5, name all of the colors, recognize a circle and triangle and all of the other things children a few months older than him are working on.

Don't get me wrong. I couldn't love my son any less if he did develop learning disablilities or did have the more severe medical problems listed above. I just want him to reach his full potential and am grateful for the gifts God has provided him. The glaucoma is just a bump in the road and a medical problems we will have to deal with. He still has excellent vision and hopefully that won't change. None of this is affecting the loving and fun child he is.

On Wednesday, Human Services called me about three different children. One was just going to be an overnight placement but thankfully a relative stepped forward to take him. The other two children were potentially going to come on Monday. Due to some serious medical issues with one of the children, it was later decided Human Services would separate them. On Friday I was told that Human Services was able to come up with a plan that would allow the children to remain with the relative they have been staying with. About 4 hours later, I received a call about another little boy. I don't know much about him yet or even if he is coming for sure. With this much activity, I am sure a child will be coming soon. I have been off hold for 5 weeks now and it seems like the other foster parents I know receive new placements four to six weeks after being available.

It amazes me that just two weeks ago I was told there were no children under age 3 needing placement and then just days later the phone began ringing. I love to see the children remain with relatives they know but am also anxious for that next placement. Jacob has his requests but they change often. At one time he wanted a girl baby. Then he wanted a girl his age. Then it was a boy baby. Now it is a boy any age named Jontaveon. Don't ask me where that name came from or why he is fixated on it. I am sure by next week his request will change again.

Things have slowed down over the past two days. Tomorrow starts another week that promises to be just as busy as last week. I know I haven't posted pictures in awhile. Hopefully, I can get my camera battery charged and get some new pictures this week. Vacation bible school is this week so maybe I will have some good opportunities there.

No comments: