Thursday, August 7, 2008

Hooky From School

Jacob and I occassionally play hooky from his daycare. Today was one of those days. I have been very busy lately with calls from Human Services and potential foster children, work, Jacob's doctor appointments and other not so fun activities. I decided it was time for another day dedicated to fun. I try to make sure Jacob and I do this at least once a month. We would do it every day but then none of our higher priority responsibilities would be accomplished.

Jacob and I began the day by sleeping in. Something he and I both really enjoy and miss about our second shift schedules. We took our time getting dressed and had a very light breakfast. Around 10 AM it was time to water the garden and pick vegetables. The green peppers weren't quite ripe yet but there were plenty of tomatoes to pick.

After picking plenty of tomatoes, it was off to the Children's museum and lunch at a local Ethiopian resteraunt. Jacob was very excited to eat some doro wat, mamoosa and play with the many exhibits at the Children's Museum.

After a good meal, it was time to head for the swimming pool. Jacob and I spent about an hour. I don't think I had to hold him more than twice then entire time. I put his life jacket on him and he doggy paddled around the pool. He loved the independance of being able to swim by himself and had a hard time going home.

We have a short break in our day of fun now for a doctor's appointment. It is just a necessary check-up before he undergoes anesthesia next week. It shouldn't take more than 30 minutes and then we will be off to continue our fun.

Tonight is the last night of Vacation Bible School. While I am sure that we will have fun, there is a bound to be a few more problems than the last two nights. After all of the fun today, I am sure Jacob and I will both be tired and less patient with each other.

I love these days of non-stop action without only a short break for an afternoon nap (what Jacob is doing right now). Now, if only I could win the lottery and have more of these days.

No comments: