Saturday, May 9, 2009

Mother's Day To All The Past Present and Future Moms


Happy Mother's Day to all the moms out there. At church tonight, the student pastor said a prayer for all of the past, present and future moms. I loved it. I know several women who are in the middle of adoption processes and those still considering how and when to become a mom. This prayer included them and I thought it was wonderful.

I remember how it felt to be waiting to become a mom on mother's day. While I love my mom and wanted to celebrate her, the day itself was very difficult. I remember crying and wondering if my dream of motherhood would ever come true. I can now say that if a woman is committed and willing to be flexible, it will happen. It may take more time or the child may come in an unexpected way but motherhood will happen.

On this mother's day, I look at my children and stand amazed. I am amazed that I have been blessed to be with two beautiful boys. One is legally mine and one I am honored to parent for as long as the law allows. I am amazed that God has entrusted their lives to me and that they smile and call me "Mommy."

I also look at them during this time of year and think of their first moms. I think of Jacob's Ethiopian mom and wonder how she found the strength and courage to make an adoption plan. I wonder what she is doing today and if she is thinking about him. I pray for her often but more during this time of year. I hope she is doing well and that she is able to see my reports on him and how well he is doing. I still dream of taking Jacob to meet her again when he is a little older and pray that she will be healthy enough to see him. I know that she wants to.

I owe Jacob's Ethiopian mother a debt of gratitude. What do you say to the woman who gave birth to your son and loved him enough to say good-bye? I didn't know what to say two years ago and I don't know what to say to her now. Thank you seems so inadequate and yet it is all I have. While I know she probably still sheds tears for him, I hope that she also feels peace. We talk about her often and I tell Jacob that he is loved by two moms. That much I know is true.

M's history is a little different and I can't divulge details here. I do think about his mom also and am thankful that I have met her. Whatever happens from here, I also know that he is loved. Rather than go into details about my thoughts about her, I will just say that I think about her often also. I hope that she finds peace and happiness. I know that she and I may have our differences but one thing we do have in common is that we both love a very special little boy. So, I wish her happy mother's day as well.

Of course, I also wish my mom a happy mother's day. I never really realized how much we had in common until I also became a mom. We don't always agree (what parent and child does) but we do love each other. I know my mom is always here for me to love me, support me and encourage me. She shares her wisdom with me as well as her faith and love. I hope she has a wonderful mother's day. I also hope that I make her as happy and proud as my boys make me every day.

Tomorrow is mother's day. Brooke is being confirmed and baptized so we won't be concentrating as much on mother's day as in the past. My children will be with me and I get to see my "mentee" confess her faith. I can't think of a better mother's day.

No comments: