Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Preparing For Summer





The "unofficial" start of summer is only two and a half weeks away. Spring and Summer are my favorite seasons! The warm air and the chance to spend time outside with family and friends. I also love just going to a park and enjoying nature and quiet. It is such a nice change from shivering inside during the winter months!

Jacob, M and I are busy preparing for this summer. It is going to be busy but also full of fun. Jacob has been working hard to learn how to peddle a bike. He has tricycles at his school and has gotten very good at riding them. Now, he is determined to learn to ride "a big bike like Grandpa."

Being a grandpa is still Jacob's #1 dream and goal for when he grows up. He absolutely adores his grandfather and wants to do everything Grandpa does. Grandpa rides a bicycle almost every day beginning when the ice and snow melts and until the first snow falls in the fall. Jacob is determined to learn to ride as well as Grandpa. Every day after school, Jacob runs to the garage, straps on his helmet and practices riding. If I even suggest doing something else first, Jacob insists that he has to practice pedaling and bike riding first. He should be an expert by the end of summer!

One of my other favorite things about summer is all of the fresh fruits and vegetables. There is just something special about food picked fresh from a garden. Last year Jacob and I grew tomatoes and green peppers. I decided to try a few new plants this year. I dug up the garden using my two good hands and nine good fingers earlier today. Jacob, M and I planted carrots, cucumbers, peas, tomatoes and green peppers after they got home from school this afternoon and after Jacob practiced riding his bike. I have never grown most of the plants before so it will be interesting to see how they turn out. I would like to try a few other things in the future.

It is raining right now and watering our plants. Hopefully, the seeds and plants will grow well and we will have delicous and cheap vegetables this summer.

No comments: