Thursday, May 28, 2009

Bedtime Blues

M has been very bad about going to bed lately. I am not sure what the deal is. He used to be so good at it. I do know that refusing to go to bed has become a game and a challenge of wills. I will win this battle.

I am looking for new stragies to try. I have a fairly consistent bedtime routine but it doesn't seem to matter. As soon as I tell him to lay down, the battle begins. It was originally only 20-30 minutes but is now much longer. Last night he thought he had me when he refused to sleep anywhere except Jacob's bed. It didn't really phase me though since Jacob very rarely sleeps in it. M just looked shocked when I didn't react to him climbing in except to move some things on the floor in case he rolled out.

M slept for about seven hours and then insisted it was time to get up. He did agree to lay in bed for another hour but refused to sleep and played with the window and his truck instead. He was so tired a couple hours later when I dropped him off at school. I felt bad for him but there really isn't much else I can do. I can't force him to sleep and as long as he lets everyone else sleep, he will just have to learn that the consequence of not sleeping is being tired the next day.

I am a little worried about how this battle is going to affect our trip this weekend. It is one thing to make him stay in his room while he refuses to sleep. It is another to try to get him to stay in a hotel room door. I may have to request a crib or playpen just to give him some kind of physical boudary. I just hope he lets Jacob and me sleep.

No comments: