Wednesday, December 26, 2007

A Very Merry Christmas!


Since this is the first year that I have a child to share Christmas with, I got to decide which Christmas traditions to keep and what new ones to start. Our first tradition began the night before. As I have done for the past seven years, I celebrate Christmas a week early with the kids I mentor. The girls decided to spend their gift cards in the afternoon. We went to a nice resteraunt afterwards where I spent far more on a meal than I normally do. B and Jacob loved watching the fish and Jacob even was allowed to feed them.

Christmas Eve we wraped christmas presents. Jacob helped with the tape and put the bows and name tags on them. We took our afternoon naps and then made cookies. It was Jacob's gift to the rest of the family. We had dinner and then got ready for church. The above picture is after Jacob was dressed for church. He thought the doll's glasses were a great finishing touch!
Santa Claus arrived Christmas morning to confirm what I already believed. Jacob has been a very good boy this year. We took the new train set Santa left over to Grandma and Grandpa's house. Grandma and Jacob enjoyed playing with it while they waited to open Christmas presents.
After a wonderful lunch, Jacob played with his favorite toy of the day. His new Giggle and Go Sesame Street garage. He really loves the car elevator and all of the "garages." I will admit that this is one of my favorite toys also.
We concluded the day by saying a special prayer at bedtime remembering our family and friends in Ethiopia and America. I hope that our Christmas traditions will teach Jacob about the many values of the holiday. Church will be a good reminder of why we celebrate and to keep God and Jesus involved. Wrapping gifts and baking cookies for others will help us remember the joy of giving. Enjoying our gifts will help us remember how loved and blessed we are. Our evening prayer will help us remember our past, present and future and be grateful for all of it.

No comments: