Sunday, October 5, 2008

Finding My Purpose In Life

The title of this post sounds like it is going to be one of those deep theological questions. What is my job on this earth? For some people, I believe that they wander around wondering that for a very long time. That is who the paster was speaking to this morning in his sermon. What is your job in this life? How are you suppose to be serving God.

I am blessed to have known for a very long time what my purpose is. I was actually thinking about this topic this morning while driving the kids to Sunday School. I often wonder if I am at my current job because it is God's desire. I wonder this because I often feel trapped and unappreciated there. I know that my gifts and talents are not being used to their fullest potential at my job and often contemplate what I can do about it. I still haven't found that answer.

I do know the general answer to what my purpose on this Earth is. I have known it for most of my life. My job is to help the children of the world. As a child, I spent hours playing with younger children. As a teenager, I babysat several times a week and volunteered with youth organizations. My first college major was elementary education although I later decided that wasn't meant to be my job.

Now as an adult, I often wonder why I am single and cannot find anyone I want to marry. I don't have the answer to that and don't know if I ever will. I do know that part of my job is to continue to work with children and help them. I am honored God has blessed me with the responsibility of caring for children. I love the time I spend with the kids I mentor, teach, foster and parent.

I don't have all of the answers and I have decided that I am going to try to be happy with that. I don't need to know. I will continue to look for opportunities to serve God and God's children. Maybe I am at my job to help the parents of some of the children out there. Maybe I am at my job to help me understand the biological parents of the children I raise and foster. Maybe I am at my job because it is the way that God is leading me to the children I am meant to serve. Or maybe I am at my job for a reason that I have yet to understand.

Whatever the reason, I will continue to work hard and do my job well. I refuse to let myself get stressed out or even concerned about if my career is going in a direction I want. I will continue to look for opportunities to do the things I want to do but accept it when I cannot. After all, I don't have all the answers and I don't need them. God will lead me where I need to go. It may be the job I am already at or it may be a different career in the future. Right now, I will work hard but concentrate on the job I know He wants me to do. Loving His children no matter how they come into my life.

No comments: