Thursday, October 30, 2008

Grandpa's Birthday

Our family celebrated my dad's birthday yesterday. It was an event that Jacob was really looking forward to. I think my dad was also excited about his birthday especially when Jacob told him he was turning 3. He really turned 61 and when Jacob heard that he told me Grandpa was old. Since you are only as old as you feel, I would say Grandpa is somewhere between 3 and 61. He is in better physical shape than I am and very healthy.

Jacob and I were planning to bake a birthday cake for Grandpa Tuesday night. It was going to be a surprise but Jacob had actually told Grandpa about it a couple weeks ago. It can be very hard for a three year old to keep such a big secret so everyone was planning on having cake after dinner. Tuesday evening I finished cleaning up dinner and noticed that M was cranky and running a slight fever. I took him to urgent care and by the time we left it was already after 7:00. We still needed to fill his prescription so it was beginning to look like baking a cake was not an option for the evening.

Jacob was very tired of waiting by the time we left urgent care and I was a little tired of trying to entertain two young children with very few toys. I drove over to my parents' house and confessed to Grandpa that we would not be able to bake him a birthday cake after all. Jacob asked if he could stay there while I took M to the pharmacy. Grandpa quickly agreed and I left while they were deciding whether or not to eat cheese puffs (a snack I never buy so it is a real treat).

I came back about 45 minutes later to see Jacob and Grandpa playing in the living room. In the oven was a birthday cake they had made together. Grandpa told me that Jacob and M were the best gifts he has received and the cake is just a bonus. Jacob and I frosted the cake before dinner last night and everyone enjoyed it after we ate.

Jacob also picked out a Dora and Diego birthday card complete with flaps to lift up for Grandpa. The boys had a great time giving the card to Grandpa and finding the prizes underneath.

At the end of the night, it was obvious that Dad was right. His birthday was great even if he didn't get the cake already made. The look of pride as Jacob showed off his cake and card was enough of a present for everyone.

1 comment:

Angela :-) said...

Tell your dad "happy birthday" from us!

Angela :-)