Saturday, October 11, 2008

Police Officers and Garbage Collectors

Jacob has been learning about community helpers the past two weeks in school. I went to his class two weeks ago to talk about my job as a police officer. His friend's father visited last week to talk about firefighters. Yesterday he was excited to see a police officer at dinner. Since I have worked with the officers regularly and know him well, I took him over to say hi. Jacob immediately became shy and didn't want to say anything to him. Officer Howard was nice though and Jacob gave him a high five before we left.

When we got back to the table, Jacob and my dad began talking about the firefighter at his school. Dad asked him if he wanted to be a firefighter when he gets bigger. Jacob stated he didn't. He states he wants to be a police officer. He states he wants a job where he can help people so he will be a police officer for Halloween as well. That's my son! I was very flattered and proud of him.

Of course, Jacob is 3 and has plenty of time to decide. He insists that he wants to be a police officer but he also wants to be a garbage collector. I'm not sure how he can do both jobs at once but he could certainly do one for a few years and then change careers. I would be proud to have a civil servant as a son.

No comments: