Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Illness and Frustration

M is sick again. He seems to get sick a lot. The social workers theorize that he may not have been exposed to a lot of germs before coming to me. For whatever reason, he seems prone to mild illness.

M got sick on Sunday briefly. It appeared to be better Sunday night. Monday morning I received a phone call that he had a fever. I left work early and took him to the doctor. He was diagnosed with another ear infection. I was somewhat relieved since he gets ear infections frequently and usually bounces right back.

M appaered to be better yesterday. He was cranky shortly after taking his medications in the morning but had a good day after that. I gave him another dose before bed and he was awake and sick again a couple hours later. He looked okay again this morning but became ill about two hours after taking the medication again.

Thankfully, my dad is able to take care of M today while I work. I plan to take him to the doctor this afternoon and only use a couple hours of sick leave. The doctors are guessing that he is having a side effect to the medication and will need a different antibiotic.

That is where the frustration comes in. I understand that M is sick. I just wish there was more I could do. I was just starting to make progress on saving up sick leave again. Now I will have to start again. M has taken this medication before without any issues so I don't completely understand why he is having problems now. I am glad that it will be an easy solution and probably not a virus. I just wish he could just feel better. It is hard to see him sick and not know the cause of it.

Hopefully, he will be feeling better tomorrow and this will just be a bad memory. A few extra loads of laundry (I've had to do 3 loads already) and some new medications will fix everything. For today I will just allow myself to be frustrated while feeling sorry for M and trying to make him feel better.

1 comment:

Angela :-) said...

I don't know how you feel about homeopathic remedies, but for ear infections, try colloidal silver. Ask at your health store.

Angela :-)