Saturday, February 14, 2009

A Night of Fun and Minor Frustration



Jacob, P, M and I had a nice evening together Friday. There were a few minor problems but they led to a good laugh later when I was able to see the humor in it. The kids were wonderful and great about adjusting our plans as we went.

I stopped at home afterwork to change clothes and grab the baby bag. M, P, Jacob and I planned to go to a gym for an obstacle course. I got all of the kids picked up and arrived at the gym 30 minutes after I thought the open gym began. I was wrong. The gym I chose didn't start until 6:30 PM despite the other two beginning at 4:30. No problem, I thought. I packed the kids back into the van and headed off for dinner.

We decided to go to a pizza and gameroom resteraunt. I thought it would be a fun way to spend an hour while we waited for the gym to open. Just as the pizzas came out of the oven, M had a diaper explosion. Not just any explosion. This one left a mess on one of the rides. I quickly cleaned it up and told management so they could disinfect the ride. I ran out to the car with M and Jacob and grabbed the baby bag. We ran into the restroom (with a few complaints from Jacob because he couldn't keep complaining).

Once in the restroom, I discovered that I did not have any extra clothes for M. I realized that someone (me or a babysitter) had used them and they were never replaced. There was nothing I could do. I washed M's pants in the restroom sink, took his shirt off and put his coat on him. I asked the staff if I could please get the pizzas boxed to go and took everyone back to my house. Other than 2 slices of pizza sliding out of the box and onto the floor, it went well.

I got the kids fed and M changed into clean clothes. I found one of Jacob's old coats that M could wear and everyone loaded into the van again. We had a wonderful time at the gym where Jacob was able to complete the obstacle course that was designed for older children. There really isn't much that slows Jacob down including a 10 foot slide.

At the end of the night, I was able to laugh at my own bad luck. I realized how beautiful the falling snow was and how lucky I was to spend the night with three wonderful children. Dirty diapers, closed rides, dropped pizza and mad dashes for restrooms and cars are just distractions to a wonderful evening with my family and P.

1 comment:

Angela :-) said...

That may be one of the ways you know you're a mom.

You know you're a mom when... you don't have the spare clothes you need and you're able to come up with a solution.

Angela :-)