Saturday, March 21, 2009

Look Who's Counting and Spelling!

I was amazed to find almost 2 year old M counting! Well, not really counting. He was playing and counted "8,9,10." I don't know if those are the only numbers he can count or if he even realizes he said them in order. After all, he just learned to put more than two words together and is still working on expressing his needs in words rather than screams. I was just amazed that he is beginning to get the concept of counting. It won't be long and he will be able to count to ten beginning with one.

Jacob has been working really hard to learn to read letters. He can now write a J and a I. He was very excited to see the letter S and told me it was "S for Saia (a friend at school)!" He can also read other letters that are in his friends' names like V and D. This is a major accomplishment for him. He has been trying for a few weeks but it seems like in the past two weeks it is finally starting to click.

I strongly believe that children learn skills when they are developmentally ready if the material is available to them. That is one of the reasons I have the boys in a high quality daycare program where they are exposed to learning. It is also why I didn't want Jacob to remain in the two year old program after he turned 3 just because he will have to repeat a year of preschool while he waits to be old enough to start kindergarten. I am proud to be able to watch Jacob and M hit these intellectual milestones and look forward to the next one.

No comments: