Thursday, April 2, 2009

Feeling Better

I am almost afraid to say this out loud but I think everyone is beginning to feel healthy. It has been a tough couple of weeks. M and Jacob have been exchanging colds. Thankfully, no ear infections yet. I know better than to let my guard down. It seems like M gets an ear infection every 8-10 weeks so I am constantly watching for signs that they are getting bad again. I won't take him in unless he is acting sick and has a fever but that seems to come on very quickly. I try to stay on top of it so that he is not sick longer than absolutely necessary. The ear infections don't seem to be affecting his hearing or speach so that is good.

Jacob woke up this morning and promply got sick. At first I thought it was from guzzling water to soon after waking up. He had gotten into a disagreement with M and wanted to drink the water quickly before M had a chance to take it from him. I decided to play it safe and he spent the day with my parents. He really hasn't eaten much all day but he also hasn't gotten sick again either. He is playing nicely and seems to have about as much energy as he normally does. I don't think he feels quite right but he isn't acting very sick. Assuming he doesn't get sick again, he will be able to go to school tomorrow. He has to go twenty-four hours without getting sick. That will occur at 5:30 tomorrow morning. I am pretty sure he will do it.

While I am easily frustrated by my children's illnesses, I also know how lucky I am. I complain about ear infections, cold and stomach bugs. Meanwhile other people are watching their children fight for their lives with cancer, liver tranplants, heart problems and other serious illnesses.

Tonight I am grateful that my children don't have major illnesses. I will give Jacob some extra love and relax on my rule of no snacking unless you eat dinner. We can resume that rule when I know his stomach is better.

1 comment:

Angela :-) said...

I'm glad to hear that you are all (hopefully) on the mend!

If I haven't mentioned it before, ask at a health store about colloidal silver for the ear infections.

Angela :-)